The Remote Sensing and Satellite Research Group (RSSRG) at Curtin University (Perth, Western Australia), is part of a national and international network of scientists that undertake quantitative research in the field of Earth observations from space. We have a number of research projects going on, including field research related to calibration and validation of satellite ocean colour remote sensing observations, satellite data processing, development of data processing algorithms, and oceanographic research based on using satellite observations.
We have a new position available for a Research Assistant- Marine Bio-Optics. This role supports the Academic Project Lead by providing specialist technical expertise for, and management of, RSSRG activities carried out in the frame of the “Satellite ocean colour sub-facility”, funded by the Australian Integrated Marine Observing System (IMOS; http://imos.org.au). Activities include:
- Manage all aspects of the project in the field including deployment / recovery, servicing / maintenance, and data processing for the profiling bio-optical mooring that RSSRG plans to deploy off Rottnest Island, WA.
- Liaise/work with the other groups involved into the IMOS “Satellite ocean colour sub-facility”, and more broadly with the Australian community involved into similar activities towards establishing data acquisition protocol documents, improving data processing codes and consistency of data collection and processing practices among this community.
- Liaise with and manage relationships with relevant project partners and stakeholders, coordinating with all parties throughout all phases of the project.
- Ensure the quality-control of the data and process to a level where it become usable for research. This includes data from radiometers, absorption/attenuation and backscattering meters, chlorophyll fluorescence, temperature / salinity / oxygen.
- Ensure specialist equipment is maintained and fully operational, liaising with the manufacturer, as required.
More details and the link to apply: https://staff.curtin.edu.au/job-vacancies/?ja-job=50057