- Understand the importance of maintaining integrity (accuracy and completeness) of data.
- Develop skills in writing and implementing a (Research) Data Management Plan, including those associated with Funding agency requirements and mandates.
- Gain knowledge of the terminology of Open Access and Open Data as it applies to Research Data Management.
- Advance knowledge in the current landscape of Research Data Management, and internationally organized efforts to develop standards and tools in this field.
- Recognize the importance of good research data management practice.
- Knowledge of the data publishing and citation process.
- Access to European marine data repositories.
- Awareness of main European based marine research projects (e.g. EMODNET, SeaDataCloud, etc.)
- Overview of Research Data
- Open Data
- Research Data and publication lifecycles
- Data organization and standards
- Data Management Plan
- Organizing Research Data
- Making Data available
- Accessing Research Data
- Overview of European Marine Projects
- End user point of view of the use of metadata for data integration
- marine researchers
- postgraduate students (MSc and PhD students);
- repository managers (data and/or documents);
- marine data librarians;
NOTE: Priority will be given to participants originating from Europe and North African countries. UNESCO is committed to promote gender equality. Applications from women are strongly encouraged.
- Greg Reed
- other to be announced
- Interest or new responsibilities in working with marine data and/or information
- Need to bring own laptop
- Working knowledge of English.
A Certificate of Participation will be issued to all successful students (90% attendance to the classroom course mandatory).
The UNESCO/IOC Project Office for IODE is certified as a Learning Services Provider (ISO 29990:2010).
The OceanTeacher Global Academy is a Project of IOC/IODE supported by the Flanders-UNESCO Trust Fund (FUST) of the Government of Flanders, Belgium.
Period for Applications: 5 July – 17 August 2019
No tuition fee applies. A limited number of fellowships is available.
OTGA Secretariat: email@example.com
(always use as email subject: OTGA Training Course: Research Data Management, 21-25 October, 2019, Oostende, Belgium)
Other useful sites: