The Department of Earth Systems Analysis of the faculty of Geo-information Science and Earth Observation at the University of Twente is looking for an Earth scientist with experience in the characterisation and monitoring of subsurface processes and/or structure. The Department of Earth Systems Analysis combines Earth science knowledge with spatial modelling and advanced remote sensing to understand Earth processes in space and time. Our education and research contribute to the sustainable use of energy and Earth resources and help reduce disaster risk and the impact of natural hazards on society.
We are seeking an individual to complement our existing strengths in natural hazards (seismology, earthquake hazard, landslides and hydro-meteorological hazards, remote sensing) and/or exploration for Earth resources (airborne geophysics, geothermal exploration). We particularly encourage applicants with research interests related to one or more of the following topics to apply: imaging and monitoring of dynamic subsurface processes, subsurface structure characterisation, Earth surface dynamics, exploration geophysics, and engineering geology.
You also have to:
- Contribute to the educational programme(s) offered by the department
- Develop own research in the field of 4D characterisation of subsurface processes and/or structure with a link to either resource exploration or natural hazards, and supervise MSc and PhD students
- Attract external funding and contribute to projects in the department.
- A PhD in Earth Sciences, or physics (with affinity to Earth sciences)
- Experience in studying subsurface processes and/or structure
- Broad knowledge of the thematic fields of the department
- An aptitude for teaching, including lecturing and tutoring at an academic level
- An affinity with a multi-cultural, post-graduate education environment
- A willingness to undertake international travel to less developed countries and a willingness to contribute to international projects
- You have an excellent command of English. Knowledge of, or willingness to learn Dutch, is an advantage.
Knowledge on one, or more, of the following topics would be a bonus:
- Rock and soil mechanics
- Geophysics and/or radar remote sensing
- Seismic waves and hazard analysis
- Earth resources (minerals, geothermal).
You must have a PhD at the time of employment, and show a demonstrated record or strong promise of research productivity. You are expected to build a vigorous, externally funded research program, mentor MSc and PhD graduate students, and teach graduate courses in your speciality.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Additional information regarding the position can be obtained from Prof. Dr. Mark van der Meijde (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). You are also invited to visit our homepage.
Please submit your application before 25 February 2019 (choose “apply now” below). Your application has to include (i) a motivation letter clearly stating how you meet the selection criteria and also outlining your research and teaching interests, (ii) a detailed CV with references and (iii) a two-page statement on your vision on research, education and capacity development in relation to ITC, and the position. Applications that do not include all three will not be considered.
A public guest lecture to the ITC-staff can be part of the selection. Because of our diversity values, we do particularly support women and candidates from our target countries to apply.
We offer an inspiring and challenging international environment. You will be initially employed for two years. Extension of the employment after this period is a possibility.
- Gross monthly salary between € 3637,- and € 4978,- depending on experience and qualifications (job profile Assistant Professor level 2).
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3%
- Excellent support for research and facilities for professional and personal development
- A solid pension scheme
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave
- Minimum of 41 holiday days in case of full-time employment.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programs. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply. The Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC) of the University of Twente provides international postgraduate education, research and project services in the field of geo-information science and earth observation using remote sensing and GIS. The aim of ITC’s activities is the international exchange of knowledge, focusing on capacity building and institutional development in developing countries and emerging economies.