Visiting Postdoctoral Researcher, Science
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
- The Postdoctoral Researcher will focus on analyses of carbon cycle observing system simulation experiments (OSSEs) performed using the GEOS model and contribute to the written documentation of GEOS-5 systems and to evaluation studies of GEOS-5 system performance.
- Uses instrument simulator models to create synthetic data that represents different satellite observing systems.
- Analyzes model-based datasets to assess the ability of new satellites to constrain relevant carbon-climate processes.
- Contributes to development of new metrics for assessing model and satellite performance in support of mission planning.
- Designs and conducts experiments to better understand the processes influencing greenhouse gas distributions on continental scales.
- Presents research findings at national/international conferences and in peer-reviewed publications.
- Participate in scientific meetings, develop scientific papers, and engage with colleagues and collaborators pursuing related research questions.
- Present results of work as publications in referred journals and presentations.
- Responsible for publishing one peer-reviewed scientific paper per year.
- Other job related duties as assigned.
Ph.D. in Earth Sciences or a related field.
0 – 2 years of postdoctoral research experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience in using atmospheric observations to assess reanalysis and model simulations.
- Knowledge of structured programming languages and high-performance computing.
- Knowledge of software packages for data processing and visualization.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving background.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to learn and improve.
- Strong team player.
Work will be performed in an office or computer lab environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; talk or hear. Keyboarding for large time spans each day may be a significant part of this position.
Applicants should apply to the posting at https://usracareers.silkroad.com/ and include a letter of interest, resume, or curriculum vita. Review of candidates will begin immediately. Additional information on USRA can be found at www.usra.edu.
USRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities / Females / Protected Veterans / Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity.
- Job Location
- Greenbelt, Maryland, United States
- Position Type