On behalf of the Lyon Family and all of Boyd’s dearest friends, I am pleased to announce the call for applications for the 2017 Boyd N. Lyon Scholarship. The year 2017 will mark the 10th year that the the BNL Fund has granted $2,500 to a graduate student for sea turtle research and conservation. Below is a list of the last 9 BNL Scholarship recipients. The application deadline for announcement is January 28, 2017. If you are interested in applying, please see the information below and download a scholarship application at www.boydlyonseaturtlefund.o rg
. We thank The Ocean Foundation for its continued help with this scholarship and are looking forward to another year of top-notch submissions.
In honoring our friend Boyd…..
BOYD N. LYON SCHOLARSHIP —
GUIDELINES & INSTRUCTIONS
The Ocean Foundation and The Boyd Lyon Sea Turtle Fund seek applicants for the Boyd N. Lyon Scholarship, for the academic year 2016-2017. This Scholarship was created in honor of the late Boyd N. Lyon, a true friend and respected researcher who had a unique passion for the study and preservation of the majestic sea turtle. In his effort to research and protect these creatures, he implemented a hand capturing method for tagging and studying turtles without using nets. This method, while not commonly used by other researchers, was the one Boyd preferred, since it enabled the capture of the rarely studied male sea turtles.
Applications are invited from Masters and PhD. level students that work and/or research in an area consistent with the Boyd Lyon Sea Turtle Fund’s mission to support field research projects that further our knowledge of sea turtle behavior and habitat use in the marine environment, as well as those projects that promote their management and conservation in coastal ecosystems. Applications to be considered must address questions from a wide range of fields in sea turtle research and conservation including, but not limited to, life history studies, oceanography, marine affairs, environmental sciences, public policy, community planning and natural resources. One merit-based award of $2,500 will be made to a student at the Masters level, or at the PhD. in 2017.
• Be a student enrolled in an accredited College or University (in the U.S. or internationally) during 2016/2017 academic year. Graduate students (minimum 9 credits completed) are eligible. Both full and part time students are welcome to apply.
• Clearly demonstrate interest in enhancing our understanding of sea turtle behavior and conservation, habitat needs, abundance, spatial and temporal distribution, as well as contribution(s) to advancing the public interest in such issues, as evidenced by both of the following.
1. A major field of study pertaining to oceanography, marine affairs, environmental sciences, public policy, community planning or natural resources.
2. Participation in cooperative or independent research, environmental activities or work experience related to the above mentioned disciplines.
• Write a letter to The Ocean Foundation Board of Directors explaining how this scholarship assisted your professional / personal growth; and document how the funds were utilized.
• Have your “Profile” (an article about you and your studies/research etc. as it pertains to sea turtles) published on the Ocean Foundation/Boyd Lyon Sea Turtle Fund website.
• Acknowledge The Ocean Foundation/ Boyd Lyon Sea Turtle Fund in any publication(s) or presentations that may result from research that the scholarship assisted in funding, and provide a copy of said article(s) to The Ocean Foundation.
The Ocean Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit public foundation and is the host of the Boyd Lyon Sea Turtle Fund dedicated to the those projects that enhance our understanding of sea turtle behavior and conservation, habitat needs, abundance, spatial and temporal distribution, and research diving safety.