Open position: Biodiversity Expert – Deadline when position is filled
The Belgian Biodiversity Platform (BBPF) is a science-policy interface body funded by the Belgian Science Policy Office (BELSPO) and is supported by a Cooperation Agreement between the federal and concerned federated authorities. Within the field of biodiversity, it acts as a broker between policy, science and practice. The BBPF is looking for 1 FTE biodiversity expert with excellent knowledge related to the field of biodiversity conservation science and/or policy, at minimum in the context of Wallonia.
The Science Officer will provide expertise, skills and knowledge to facilitate the establishment of a regional framework allowing biodiversity research to support decision making in Wallonia. He/She will build on previous activities of the BBPF on biodiversity and further reinforce interlinkages across relevant disciplines, research communities, stakeholders, and policy actors. She/He will:
- Overview of existing biodiversity research strategies and programmes
- Identification of knowledge needs and challenges posed by the Walloon context
- Contribution to an updated mapping of available scientific expertise on biodiversity
- Analysis of the matching between available scientific expertise and knowledge needs
- Establishment of a methodology for setting up a biodiversity research programme and identification of corresponding workflows
- Operational proposal for a biodiversity research programme
- Contribution to the organisation of the BBPF annual Conference
Hold a university degree (Bachelor or MSc) in biology, environment, environmental management or political science
- Experience in data and information management and analytics is desirable.
- Experience with horizon scanning/foresight activities is an asset.
- Excellent level of written and spoken French and English and knowledge of Dutch.
- Demonstrated experience in event planning, organisation and facilitation is a strong advantage.
- Experience in project/programme development and management.
- Genuine interest in and enthusiasm for biodiversity research and policy.
- Having excellent networking and communication skills is absolutely necessary.
- Have some experience in advocacy; knowledge brokerage, or science communication will be a strong advantage.
- Ability to multitask and work within a team with proficient communication and transparency.
- A stimulating position in a renowned scientific institute
- Fixed-term contract Salary scale: SW1. The BBPF position is a contractual position of 24 months (starting as soon as possible) based at The Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences, with regular meetings with stakeholders in Wallonia.
- Benefits: free subscription or 100% reimbursement for home-to-work journeys by public transport; hospitalisation/group insurance; miscellaneous benefits via Benefits@work; benefits
- Other: flexible working hours of 38 hours/week; possibility of teleworking and training
How to apply
For more information about this position contact Divija Jata (firstname.lastname@example.org) Coordinator, Belgian Biodiversity Platform or Sonia Vanderhoeven (email@example.com) Science Officer, Belgian Biodiversity Platform.
Further information about this opportunity can be found here.