Open position: Biodiversity science officer – Deadline 11 September 2022
VLIZ is hiring a biodiversity science officer in the framework of the Horizon Europe projects Marco-Bolo, MARBEFES and iMagine. Within these projects, the VLIZ Marine Observation Centre (MOC) works on the collection, processing and analysis of biodiversity observations – ranging from plankton to fish.
Become part of the VLIZ Marine Observation Centre (MOC), where we are performing essential ad-hoc and long-term multi-disciplinary observations in the marine environment to improve our understanding of dynamics and change of the marine and coastal ecosystems. We use innovative and integrated observation systems to generate high quality data and are continuously working on further improvement of data collection and processing pipelines. Valorization is key and realized through research and derived marine services towards stakeholders in research, policy, industry and society.
- A fixed term position for 2 years, in a vibrant and international environment at the Innovocean Campus;
- A salary according to diploma/experience (salary scales of the Flemish Government);
- Additional benefits: holiday allowance, end of year allowance, meal vouchers, bicycle allowance, free commute by public transport;
- A good work-life balance including 35 days off, flexible working hours within a 38-hour working week; the possibility to work partly from home.
- Project management, reports and communication in English;
- Participation in project meetings and follow-up on milestones and deliverables;
- Participation in field campaigns in an (inter)national context;
- Data science and analysis of biodiversity data;
- Contribution in A1 manuscripts.
For each function, VLIZ considers enthusiastic involvement, service minded, excellent professionalism and integrity as important characteristics.
- A master’s degree in applied sciences (bioscience engineering) or in exact sciences (e.g. biology, biochemistry)
- Min. 2 years of relevant work experience
- Strong skills in organization, planning and managing of projects
- Ability to work independently and in team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Willingness to spend time at sea for multiple days
- Willing to work in an international context
Following skills are considered an asset:
- Strong skills in R or Python
- Experience with report writing
- Knowledge of data handling
- Affinity with (marine) research and innovation
- Sea-going experience
Over the last 20 years, the Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ) has become a knowledge institution indispensable to the marine research landscape. What started as an institute focusing on science support, has evolved into a national and international point of contact for marine research. VLIZ initiates and carries out multidisciplinary research and supports marine experts by providing research infrastructure, data, information and knowledge. VLIZ supports the blue economy and reaches out to a broad public. VLIZ further broadens its marine horizons and aims at becoming a world player in the field of marine and coastal research.
A stimulating working environment forms the base of our flourishing knowledge institute. The well-being of our employees comes first. VLIZ is looking for colleagues who, with their passion and knowledge, want to strengthen our growing institute and face the blue challenges of the future.
For more information concerning this vacancy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (Marine Observation Centre manager).
Does this vacancy appeal to you?
Send in your cover letter and CV no later than Sunday 11 September 2022:
- By post: Jan Mees, General director VLIZ, InnovOcean site, Wandelaarkaai 7, 8400 Oostende
- By mail: email@example.com with subject “Vacancy biodiversity science officer”
You can contact us by telephone on +32 (0)59 34 21 30.
VLIZ promotes equality and diversity in the workplace. You will be recruited based on competencies. Qualities of people are decisive, regardless of gender, religion, ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation or any disability.
Do you have a disability? Please attach a document to your application so that we can adapt our selection procedure where necessary. This information will be handled with discretion.
Based on the received motivation letters and CVs; a select group of candidates will be invited for a job interview .
You will be informed by email. The job interviews take place in the offices of VLIZ on 29 and 30 September 2022.
Further information can be found in this link.