To more efficiently exploit the full potential of the MOSAiC expedition, the M-VRE project develops online services for the exploration, analysis and visualisation of the MOSAiC data in a “Virtual Research Environment”. A central tool in the M-VRE is web ODV, the online version of the widely used Ocean Data View software for interactive, efficient and interdisciplinary data analysis. Being part of the M-VRE project, this PostDoc position aims to compile and harmonise MOSAiC raw data into extensive ODV collections to be used with web ODV.
- adapt and develop software, algorithms, and scripts to convert and harmonise MOSAiC data into the ODV format
- develop with ocean and climate experts strategies for the data aggregation.
- work with the ODV software
- learn and understand the MOSAiC data and metadata
- develop automated procedures for the conversion from the raw data to the end product
- publish results in data journals like Earth Syst. Sci. Data
- work in a team of software developers
- present your work at international conferences
- establish connections to ocean and climate research groups
- PhD in computer science, applied mathematics / statistics, information science, physics or related field
- Competent experience with Linux.
- Good knowledge in shell-programming, e.g. BASH.
- Good computing skills and knowledge of at least one high-level programming language (e.g. C++, Python)
- Knowledge in Linux command line tools like AWK, sed, grep or RegEx is advantageous.
- Knowledge in software development, e.g. GitHub.
- Experience with large and complex datasets.
- Knowledge of data formats like netCDF is beneficial.
- Good working knowledge of the English language
- Willingness to present research results at international conferences and publish in peer-reviewed journals
For further information, please contact Dr. Sebastian Mieruch-Schnülle (email@example.com; +49(471)4831-1367).
This is a full-time position, limited to 2 years. It is also suitable for part-time employment. The salary will be paid in accordance with the Collective Agreement for the Public Service of the Federation (Tarifvertrag des öffentlichen Dienstes, TVöD Bund), up to salary level 13. The place of employment will be Bremerhaven.
Postdocs have to register with AWI’s postdoc office PROCEED, thereby gaining access to a set of tailor-made career development tools.
The AWI is characterised by
- our scientific success – excellent research.
- collaboration and cooperation – intra-institute, national and international, interdisciplinary.
- opportunities to develop – on the job, aiming at other positions and beyond AWI.
- a culture of reconciling work and family – an audited and well-supported aspect of our operation
- our outstanding research infrastructure – ships, stations, aircraft, laboratories and more.
- an international environment – everyday contacts with people from all over the world.
- having an influence – fundamental research with social and political relevance
- flat hierarchies – facilitating freedom and responsibility
- exciting science topics, with opportunities also in technology, administration and infrastructure
Equal opportunities are an integral part of our personnel policy. The AWI aims to increase the number of female employees and therefore strongly encourages qualified women to apply.
Disabled applicants will be given preference when equal qualifications are present.
The AWI fosters the compatibility of work and family in various ways and has received a number of awards as a result of this engagement.
We look forward to your application!
Reference number 22/121/D/Geo-b
To find out more about this opportunity, click here.