- A challenging job in the dynamic environment at the InnovOcean campus in Ostend.
- A contract of one year (with the possibility of a prolongation) and a salary scale according to qualifications and experience, following the salary scales of the Flemish Government.
- Fringe benefits: holiday pay, end-of-year bonus, meal vouchers, bike allowance, free public transport for home-work-commuting and an attractive holiday arrangement.
- You collect, quality control and archive different types of data from different marine scientific disciplines.
- You efficiently communicate with data providers from different marine scientific disciplines on the processes involved in the management of their data
- You are able to document your work, used processes and decision-making in a detailed manner
- You create new, as well as improve and optimize existing biodiversity data workflows, products and small-scale data applications.
- You assist in providing data services and training – both online and in person – towards the marine community.
- You can actively promote the biodiversity data systems hosted and managed at VLIZ within the marine community through different channels
- You share your acquired experiences with your team members, thereby assisting them in improving specific data flows and optimizing the training material
For each function, VLIZ considers enthusiastic involvement, open servitude, excellent professionalism and integrity as important characteristics.
- You have a MSc degree in marine sciences, bioinformatics or equivalent.
- You have good data handling and programming skills (Python, R).
- You have a strong interest in Open Science.
- Experience with relational databases is highly valued
- Experience with omics data is an asset
- You have proficient and effective oral and written communication skills in English.
Over the last 20 years, the Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ) has become a knowledge institution indispensable to the marine research landscape. What started as an institute focusing on science support, has evolved into a national and international point of contact for marine research. VLIZ initiates and carries out multidisciplinary research and supports marine experts by providing research infrastructure, data, information and knowledge. VLIZ supports the blue economy and reaches out to a broad public. VLIZ further broadens its marine horizons and aims at becoming a world player in the field of marine and coastal research.
A stimulating working environment forms the base of our flourishing knowledge institute. The well-being of our employees comes first. VLIZ is looking for colleagues who, with their passion and knowledge, want to strengthen our growing institute and face the blue challenges of the future.
For more information concerning this vacancy, please contact Lennert Tyberghein, head of the Data Centre, by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
Does this vacancy appeal to you?
Send in your cover letter and CV no later than Monday 15 August 2022:
- By post: Jan Mees, General director VLIZ, InnovOcean site, Wandelaarkaai 7, 8400 Oostende
- By mail: email@example.com with subject “Vacancy Biodiversity Data Centre MAR”
You can contact us by telephone on +32 (0)59 34 21 30.
VLIZ promotes equality and diversity in the workplace. You will be recruited based on competencies. Qualities of people are decisive, regardless of gender, religion, ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation or any disability.
Do you have a disability? Please attach a document to your application so that we can adapt our selection procedure where necessary. This information will be handled with discretion.
Based on the received motivation letters and CVs; a select group of candidates will be invited for a job interview. You will be informed by email. The job interviews take place in the offices of VLIZ or via video conference between August 26 and August 31.
You can find out more about this opportunity by clicking here.