The VLIZ IT division participates in ten – mostly international – projects to develop marine data systems and to keep them operational. Due to the steady growth of the number of projects and the expansion of our activities towards HPC and Big Data, we are looking for additional employees for various contracts and a recruitment reserve.
- We offer you a challenging job in the dynamic environment of the InnovOcean site in Ostend.
- A contract of indefinite duration and a salary according to diploma and experience (scales of the Flemish personnel statute).
- Additional reimbursements: holiday allowance, end-of-year bonus, meal vouchers, hospitalization insurance, bicycle allowance, free public transport between home and work.
- A good work-life balance with, among other things, 35 vacation days, flexible working hours within a 38-hour working week and the option to work from home. Opportunities for personal development (training).
- You coordinate and report on the activities of the IT team in the context of different projects, and you present the results internally and externally.
- You help to define new projects and write project proposals in close collaboration with the department head, CTO and other project partners.
- You also contribute to the technical part of the creative process (system analyses, programming, developing architecture).
- You get to know the possibilities of the existing data systems and you research the internal application of new technologies.
For each function, VLIZ considers enthusiastic involvement, open servitude, excellent professionalism and integrity as important characteristics.
- You have a master’s degree in science, bioinformatics or IT (or equivalent through experience)
- You communicate clearly and write fluently in English
- You have experience with
- international projects
- analysis and programming
- scientific math, HPC, MongoDB, iRODS, OpenStack, Docker, RStudio, R, Python
- marine data systems ad standards (NetCDF, GeoServer, OGC, Dawrin Core, OBIS)
- You are willilng to work in an international context.
Over the last 22 years, the Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ) has become a knowledge institution indispensable to the marine research landscape. What started as an institute focusing on science support, has evolved into a national and international point of contact for marine research. VLIZ initiates and carries out multidisciplinary research and supports marine experts by providing research infrastructure, data, information and knowledge. VLIZ supports the blue economy and reaches out to a broad public. VLIZ further broadens its marine horizons and aims at becoming a world player in the field of marine and coastal research.
A stimulating working environment forms the base of our flourishing knowledge institute. The well-being of our employees comes first. VLIZ is looking for colleagues who, with their passion and knowledge, want to strengthen our growing institute and face the blue challenges of the future.
For more information concerning this vacancy, please contact the IT division manager Bart Vanhoorne (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Does this vacancy appeal to you?
Send in your cover letter and curriculum vitae no later than Sunday 28 August 2022:
- By post: Jan Mees, General director VLIZ, InnovOcean site, Wandelaarkaai 7, 8400 Oostende
- By e-mail: email@example.com with subject “Project Manager IT”
You can contact us by telephone on +32 (0)59 34 21 30.
VLIZ promotes equality and diversity in the workplace. You will be recruited based on competencies. Qualities of people are decisive, regardless of gender, religion, ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation or any disability.
Based on the received motivation letters and CVs, a select group of candidates will be invited for a job interview. You will be notified by email.
The job interviews take place remotely or at the offices of VLIZ, in the course of September.
You can find out more about this opportunity by clicking here.