The Save Our Seas Foundation (SOSF) offers a series of grants dedicated to research, conservation and education projects worldwide. Keystone Grant and Small Grant projects should integrate at least two of these components and focus on charismatic marine megafauna, particularly sharks, rays and skates.
Application window (online form):
Stage I: from 19 April to 14 June 2022, at 18:00 CET (Central European Time).
Stage II: if your stage I application is successful, you will will be invited to submit your stage II application before 31 August 2022, at 18:00 CET (Central European Time).
The Small Grant is designed for short (12- to 18-month) and small projects (grants average US$5,000) dedicated to early career scientists (within five years of a degree being awarded). Aimed at original and innovative start-up projects, the grant presents early career scientists, conservationists or educators with an opportunity to prove themselves. It targets local projects conducted by local project leaders. Whether or not the project is part of a larger endeavour, SOSF Small Grants are for specific and finite projects. Only projects concerned with marine chondrichthyan species (sharks, rays, skates, sawfishes and chimaeras) will be considered.
- The Small Grant application process consists of a two-stage online application: Stage I involves completing a very short online form, equivalent to one to two pages. Stage II, by invitation only based on the Stage I application, will involve the completion of a longer and more detailed online form, equivalent to a maximum of 10 pages.
- Funding is awarded for only one financial year. The SOSF will consider small grant applications that, inter alia, aim to undertake the preliminary investigations necessary before a larger, longer-term project can be developed.
- Successful applicants for small project grants, including scoping projects, are not eligible to submit a Small Grant application the following year, but are not excluded from submitting a new Keystone Grant application.
- Only one application will be accepted from any one applicant.
- All applications will be reviewed by the SOSF scientific committee and require final approval from the Foundation’s Board of Directors.
Please read the funding guidelines carefully.