Open position: Research assistant in Marine Microbiology & Biogeochemistry – Deadline 15 May 2023
Are you an analyst with an interest in ocean research? Then the Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research (NIOZ) offers you an interesting job on the beautiful island Texel. For the molecular ecology lab, we are looking for a temporary replacement as a research assistant with a passion for the profession. It concerns a full-time or part-time position for a period of at least 6 months.
The Department of Marine Microbiology and Biogeochemistry (MMB) studies microbial communities and their functioning in all types of marine environments, from estuaries to the deep ocean, from tropical coral reefs to polar regions, and from the present to the past. The department has well-equipped laboratories for molecular analyses and state-of-the-art facilities for bioinformatics.
MMB is an international and dynamic department and has approximately 80 members, including PhD students, postdocs and Master students from more than 15 different countries. A group of sixteen staff scientists and fifteen research assistants (junior and senior) form the core of the department. Nearly half of the core staff was recruited in the last five years creating a young, vibrant, diverse and multidisciplinary team.
As a Research Assistant you will be responsible for, among others:
- Performing molecular ecology lab work to identify marine organisms or their prey in various sample types of diagnostic PCRs or ngs sequencing.
- Introducing, informing and assisting lab users (interns, PhD students and Postdocs) with respect to the proper use of lab equipment and procedures.
- Optimizing, organizing and maintaining lab facilities like pipetting robots, Minlon sequencers, a digital imager and fragment size analyzers.
- Resolving problems and answer the help questions from lab users.
- Working collegially in a team and keeping daily digital administration of activities and results.
We are looking for highly motivated and collegial candidates with:
- HBO/bachelor’s degree in biology, Biotechnology or Medical Laboratory Research.
- Experience with DNA/RNA extractions, PCR, qPCR, laboratory maintenance and organization.
- Cooperative, integer and open attitude.
- Efficient, accurate and organized working manner individually and in a team.
- Flexibility to adapt to the needs of the lab team.
- Good communication skills in both English and Dutch (oral and written).
- Extra: experience with ngs sequencing, experience with DNA-SIP, and cloning techniques.
We strive to ensure that our staff reflect the diversity of society, including age, gender, ethnic and cultural background. We therefore very much appreciate candidates who are able to increase the diversity of NIOZ.
Employment of this position at Royal NIOZ is by NWO (The Dutch Research Council). We offer a full-time position for a period of 6 month with the possibility for an extention to 12 months based on the need in the specific lab. Number of hours negotiable; Minimum of 20 hours.
The salary is compliant to the CAO-OI (Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Research Institutes) with a scale 8 or 9, depending on the candidate’s education and experience.
You may expect attractive secondary employment conditions. We offer generous relocation expenses for employees coming from abroad and support with finding accommodation.
Please note that Non-EU citizens can only apply for this position when they have a valid work permit for working in the Netherlands as it is not regarded as a scientific position
For additional information about this vacancy, please contact Judith van Bleijswijk.
For additional information about the procedure, please contact Mylene Lormans (sr. HR advisor).
Please visit NIOZ and the department of MMB.
Please note: closing date for applications: May 15th, 2022. During the procedure interviews will be held with suitable candidates.
Further information about this opportunities, click here.