Open position: African Marine Network Manager – Deadline 23 September 2022
Sustainable Seas Trust (SST) is a science- and education-based organization that works to protect Africa’s marine resources for the benefit of all who live on the continent and its island states. As a registered international charitable trust, an NPO and PBO, the organisation operates exclusively for charitable, scientific, educational, socio-economic, and philanthropic purposes.
The African Marine Network is the primary conduit through which SST’s marine conservation interventions are actioned and realised. Now active in 47 of the 54 African continental and island states, the African Marine Network is an active platform for collaboration, and resource- and knowledge-sharing within countries and across borders in Africa.
SST is looking for a dynamic individual to expand the already well-established AfricanMarine Network by creating an enriching partnership experience with SST. The incumbent will contribute to facilitating the collation and exchange of marine conservation knowledge, expertise, and skills to relevant African communities with the aim of developing a strong commitment toward strategic marine conservation objectives.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Create, manage, and maintain the organisation’s database management system (DMS), network framework and associated online maps to ensure the African Marine Network adequately services SST’s supporters, partners, and members across Africa, as guided by the organisational Theory of Change.
• Understand and meet the needs of African Marine Network members through an appropriate communications and relationship management strategy.
• Demonstrate the measurable growth of the African Marine Network (including increasing numbers and types of organisations across African countries and island states).
• Manage effective relationships with all identified stakeholder groups whilst communicating effectively with all key contacts as appropriate.
• Work closely with the Marketing and Communications Manager to ensure the promotion, growth, and documented impact of the African Marine through targeted, appropriate, and thoughtful communications strategies and M&E framework.
• Initiate and attend location visits, workshops, and meetings, as appropriate, to strengthen existing relationships with key stakeholders and establish new strategic relationships.
• Manage and track the membership model, including reporting, sharing information, news and developments as appropriate.
• Work collaboratively with other internal colleagues and perform other duties as required.
• A clear value proposition to partners and stakeholders for the African Marine Network (including a membership model for the Network).
• A comprehensive networking strategy, with a clear Monitoring and Evaluation framework, inclusive of quantitative and qualitative indicators, to measure impact.
• Segregated database for the African Marine Network linked to a tailored communications, marketing, and fundraising strategy (working closely with the Marketing and Communications Manager and the Fundraising Manager.
• An up-to-date online map, linked to the organisational website and communications toolkit, showing relevant entities as aligned with the
organisation stakeholder map.
• Alignment between the growth of the African Marine Network and annual organisational targets and milestones.
• Regular contributions to strategic communications platforms, e.g. website and social media, as needed.
• Contribution to Annual Report and other key publications, as needed.
Experience and Skills Required:
• A Master-level qualification in Strategic Communications, Public Relations, Stakeholder Management, or similar field.
• Demonstrated working experience and understanding of ArcGIS or similar mapping software.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role (where communication and relationship management were key skills).
• Work experience in the not-for-profit or non-governmental sector preferred
A resourceful team player with the ability to work with others.
• Excellent problem solving, analytical and decision-making skills.
• Excellent communication skills with ability to give and receive feedback.
• Flexibility and willing to ‘go the extra mile’ to meet the needs of key partners.
• Strong organisational and time management skills
• Commitment and self-motivation to work within tight deadlines with minimum supervision.
Further Details about the Position
• Duration: One-year initial contract.
• Start date: As soon as possible.
• Salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• Location: Gqeberha, Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa
How to Apply
To apply, submit your applications firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm SAST on Friday the 23rd of September 2022, using the following email subject: JOB APPLICATION: AFRICAN MARINE NETWORK MANAGER.
Applications should include all the following:
1. Letter of motivation (no longer than 1 page).
2. Curriculum vitae (no longer than 2 pages).
3. Proof of qualification(s).
4. Contact details of at least three references.
SST will acknowledge receipt of all applications. If you do not receive an acknowledgement of receipt within 48 hours of sending your application, please enquire at email@example.com.
Click here to find out more about the position.