ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto “Dare to Think”. Ghent University’s mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
At the Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, a full-time position for associate professor, full professor or senior full professor is available at the department of “Animal Sciences and Aquatic Ecology” in the field of aquaculture. Background information about the career policy of autonomous academic staff and the job levels can be found via this link.
The core activities are academic education, scientific research and scientific service within the domain of sustainable aquaculture. Sustainable aquaculture is a multidisciplinary field. In which the core expertise of the research group, Laboratory of Aquaculture & Artemia Reference Center (ARC), focusses on the zootechnical aspects of the larviculture of aquatic animals and their live food on the one hand, and on the understanding and management of host microbial interactions that are characteristic of this larviculture on the other hand. The successful candidate can rely on and build upon this internationally recognised core expertise of the research group, coordinates and manages research and the international master degree(s) in aquaculture, and consolidates the Laboratory of Aquaculture & Artemia Reference Center (ARC) leadership’s role on a global level.
You lecture various course units in the discipline of larviculture of aquatic organisms, diseases in aquaculture and control of diseases in aquaculture.
Classes are taught in English within ongoing international master degree programmes. You are also responsible for the courses and their integration into one Aquaculture master program at Ghent University.
You conduct innovative research in sustainable larviculture of aquatic organisms. We expect that you further develop the research field and acquire funding for the further expansion of the research group Laboratory of Aquaculture & Artemia Reference Center (ARC). The research is carried out in collaboration with researchers within the department and Ghent University. But is also carried out in a national and international context, as aquaculture research at Ghent University is anchored in a strong international network.
We expect that the research expertise and vision of the successful candidate is complementary within the existing expertise present in the UGent Aquaculture R&D Consortium and the research domain of the members in the IOF-Consortium BLUEGent. Looking at the multidisciplinary research context, there is an aim to collaborate with the members of these UGent consortia to further develop this research.
You cooperate in the internal and external service provision of the department of Animal Sciences and Aquatic Ecology. You are expected to partake in faculty and university wide responsibilities transcending your own research group (including, but not limited to, chair of the Study Programme Committee(s), coordination of master degree programmes and coordination of the interfaculty collaboration within the UGent Aquaculture R&D Consortium), all related to the area of expertise of aquaculture.
- You have already conducted eminent scientific research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books;
- You are capable of initiating and supervising scientific research based on relevant and new developments in science and society and you have experience in acquiring the necessary funding for scientific research;
- You have experience not only in initiating and coordinating monodisciplinary research, but also in inter- and multidisciplinary research and in supervising/coaching employees within such research consortia;
- You have experience in result orientated and people orientated coaching/guidance of employees and you have organisational skills in relation to the daily management of a research group. The successful candidate will take charge of the Laboratory of Aquaculture and Artemia Reference Center (ARC);
- You can demonstrate successful collaborations with national and international fellow researchers;
- You have an (international) network of research contacts and collaborations useful for expanding the research domain;
- You master didactic skills focusing on the development and realisation of academic competences in university students. And you can show relevant experience in successfully supervising students on master and doctoral level;
- In relation to academic education, you have a future driven and strategic vision based on good insights in the international educational landscape within the field of aquaculture. And you have concrete ideas regarding the integration of recent evolutions within the research domain into academic aquaculture training(s);
- You must master the language of instruction in which you will teach a course at CEFR-level C1.You can demonstrate this by means of a language certificate or a diploma obtained from an institution in which that language is the language of instruction. In addition, Article II.270, §1 of the Codex of Higher Education requires that: (i) you must master the Dutch language at least at CEFR-level A2 within two years after the start of the appointment. (ii) you must be able to master the Dutch language at least at CEFR-level of B2 within five years after the start of the appointment. More info: Language requirements at Ghent University for professorial staff;
- Recommended are:International mobility, among other research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
Positively evaluated experience in provided or organised academic lecturing on an academic level;
Professionalization of education;
Representative interest and/or experience in project management in the Global South.
Skills / Attitude
- You are quality-oriented;
- You take initiative;
- You inspire your employees;
- You are a motivational leader with a future driven vision;
- You are fluent in written and spoken English, in case you are not a native Dutch speaker you are willing to learn Dutch in the short term.
We aspire an inspiring candidate at associate professor, full professor, or senior full professor level who has motivational and guiding leadership capacities.
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education, in Dutch).
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
- You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on the date of appointment. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, the degree of full professor or senior full professor is awarded. This will be decided by the University Board as proposed by the Faculty Board.
We offer you a permanent appointment in the grade of full professor or senior full professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
The recruitment is from February 1, 2023.
The career and evaluation policy for Professorial Staff is based on talent development and growth, prioritizing vision development and strategy – at the personal as well as the group level. At UGent we focus on career support and coaching of the Professorial Staff in the different phases of the career. Read more.
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of ‘Dutch’ and ‘English’ for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, daycare, a wide range of sports facilities, ecocheques,… A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. Read more.
Candidates who are newly appointed at Ghent University with an appointment as autonomous academic staff of at least 50% or candidates whose appointment as autonomous academic staff at Ghent University is increased to a minimum of 50% receive a Starting Grant of € 210.000 to contribute towards the personnel, operational and/or equipment costs of establishing a research team.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance. Female applications are thus especially welcomed.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the faculty assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore it will match all elements of the application files against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture,…). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their top 5 most important publications or other academic achievements with the highest impact. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late or incomplete applications, or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Application form’: the professorial staff application form (+ all annexes mentioned in the form), merged into one pdf file;
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format;
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a legalised translation in one of the mentioned languages;
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in you possession). For diplomas awarded in the UK before January 31st of 2020, a certificate of equivalence is not required.
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
For further information regarding this vacancy, please contact Prof. dr. ir. Peter Bossier, current head of the Laboratory of Aquaculture & Artemia Reference Center (ARC), firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. dr. ir. Veerle Fievez, department chair, email@example.com.
Vragen over online solliciteren? Bekijk de FAQ.