Future Earth Invites Submissions to Host the Global Coordination Hub – Deadline 31 May 2023
The Future Earth Governing Council solicits offers to host the Global Coordination Hub of its globally distributed secretariat. The Global Coordination Hub will function as the central coordinating body, and it will work with a growing network of independent Global Secretariat Hubs to coordinate and support a wide range of synergistic global activities.
About Future Earth
Future Earth is a global network advancing research in support of transformations to global sustainability. Our research networks bring together scientists and practitioners to develop knowledge to support transformations towards sustainability. Our focus on systems-based approaches seeks to deepen our understanding of the Earth system and human dynamics, working across disciplines. We synthesise and communicate knowledge to underpin evidence-based policies and strategies for sustainable development.
The call for expressions of interest invites potential host institutions and partners to indicate their interest to host and support the Global Coordination Hub. Hosting the Future Earth Global Coordinating Hub will offer the hosting institution(s) opportunities to:
- Play a leading role in shaping the direction of sustainability research globally for years to come
- Access to a wide and influential network of organisations and institutions advancing sustainability research
- Increase national and international visibility and leadership in coordinating global sustainability research
- Influence Future Earth’s collective input into national, regional and global sustainability science-policy platforms and processes (including UNEA, HLPF, UNFCCC, CBD, IPBES, IPCC, etc.)
Role and Responsibilities of Future Earth Global Coordination Hub
The Global Coordination Hub and the independent Global Secretariat Hubs constitute the distributed Future Earth Secretariat. The Global Coordination Hub, led by the Future Earth Executive Director, works with the Global Secretariat Hubs to deliver the key functions of the Future Earth Secretariat. The host institutions of the Global Coordination Hub and the Global Secretariat Hubs commit funding and in kind resources to support the global work of the Future Earth secretariat, and to adhere to the mission, vision, objectives and values of Future Earth. They also commit to fundraising to support and promote the global research networks.
The Global Coordination Hub, which hosts the Future Earth Executive Director, operates exclusively at the coordination level, which is distinct from the Global Secretariat Hubs who lead programmatic activities. The Global Coordination Hub’s functions include:
- Hosting the Executive Director and providing resources for their operations (assistant, travel funds etc).
- Leading strategy development of the secretariat in collaboration with Global Secretariat Hubs and Governing Council
- Executive representation of Future Earth through the Executive Director
- Management of, and ensuring resources for, the Future Earth governance system (Assembly, Governing Council)
- Overall coordination of the globally distributed Secretariat activities:
- Coordination of programs and initiatives among Global Secretariat Hubs. Chairing the Directors Council which consists of Directors of all Global Hubs.
- Leading cross-cutting fundraising efforts and management of partnerships
- Leading global communications efforts
- Management of contributions into and spending of Future Earth’s common resources (Future Earth “Core Fund”, see Glossary), in collaboration with the decisions of the Governing Council.
Applications can be submitted here by May 31, 2023. The Global Coordination Hub will be selected through an open bidding and review process. The application and review process will be iterative and will include an interview / Q+A meeting of the applicants with the review committee. We encourage potential hosts to contact email@example.com or any Global Hub Director with questions.