UN Decade Collaborative Centre on Ocean-Climate Nexus is now open for 2 positions – Deadline 10 May 2023
UN Ocean Decade, endorsed and implemented by the United Nations General Assembly, has been described as a once-in-a-lifetime global initiative on ocean science and technology at the beginning of the third millennium, aimed at promoting innovative scientific solutions in the field of oceans for the sustainable development of oceans, climate, and human society.
The coordination of the Ocean Decade is led by the Decade Coordination Unit (DCU) at UNESCO/IOC, with the Decade Collaborative Centers (DCCs) and Decade Coordination Offices (DCOs) as its branches, among which the DCC will be responsible for organizing and coordinating major scientific programs and related initiatives, and will play a key role in planning, recruitment, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation the Decade action, as well as the and preparation, integration, and application of its results.
UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030) (Ocean Decade) Decade Collaborative Center on Ocean-Climate Nexus and Coordination Amongst Decade Implementing Partners in P.R.China (DCC-OCC), sponsored by the First Institute of Oceanography (FIO), Ministry of Natural Resources, has been approved by UNESCO/IOC on June, 2023. It will coordinate global scientific and technological innovation and cooperation in the field of oceans and climate under the framework of the Ocean Decade, enhance communication among various stakeholders, promote active participation in Decade Actions, improve the capacity of the world’s ocean and climate prediction; provide ocean-based solutions for sustainable development of human society and climate change, promote climate change mitigation and adaptation at all levels globally, and build capacity, especially for the participation of small island countries, underdeveloped and developing countries, as well as young scholars from around the world, to enhance the resilience of human society to climate change, especially extreme weather events. In addition, the DCC-OCC will serve to coordinate the participation in the Decade’s implementation partners.
As the lead unit of DCC-OCC, the First Institute of Oceanography of the Ministry of Natural Resources is a comprehensive marine research institute engaged in basic and applied research in Qingdao. DCC-OCC is supported by the Ocean Decade International Cooperation Centre, which is an innovative cooperation platform jointly established by the Ministry of Natural Resources, the People’s Government of Shandong Province and the Qingdao Municipal People’s Government.
II. Open Positions
DCC-OCC has full-time positions for an Executive Director, a Senior Project Manager, 2 Project Officers and an Administrative Assistant. In accordance with the needs of the Centre, we now have 2 open positions for Project Officers, the responsibilities are as follow:
Position 1 & Position 2
- Drafting best practice reports, daily working reports and other relevant documents;
- Organising, facilitating and representing DCC-OCC at conferences and events both domestically and internationally, taking meeting minutes and reports;
- Planning, organizing and facilitating the implementation of relevant projects
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director and Executive Director
- Organize ocean and climate model tests and write test reports;
- Set up and maintain the Centre’s data centre and information sharing platform;
- Organize the set-up and maintenance of the social media channel
- Liaise with the Ocean Decade initiative, institutions and partners;
- Track and analyze developments and important information related to the Ocean Decade and write research reports;
- Prepare promotional materials such as videos and brochures and keep close contact with the media;
III. Basic requirements
Candidates should meet the following basic requirements:
- Sincere, rigorous and responsible, a team player, have the independent problem-solving ability, excellent communication and coordination skills, as well as excellent multidisciplinary and multicultural understanding;
- A strong interest in marine conservation, addressing climate change, and international cooperation;
- Experienced in international organizations operation and international project management;
- Excellent in both oral and written English;
- Good ability to synthesize and analyze information;
- Familiarity with the Framework Ocean Decade is preferred;
- Position 1: Doctorate degree in marine science, atmospheric science, marine affairs and related majors, with post-doctoral experience preferred; Position 2: Master’s degree or above in marine science, atmospheric science, marine affairs, ocean policy, the law of the sea, international relations and related disciplines.
IV. Form of employment and benefits
The position of project officer is subject to the labor dispatch system, and the salary is between RMB 18k – 26k yuan/month after the internship period and enjoying various national and local insurance and provident fund benefits.
Qingdao International Cooperation Centre (No. 598, Jinsha Beach Road, West Coast New Area of Qingdao, Shandong Province, China).
(1) Deadline: Before 17:00 on 10 May, 2023.
(2) Declaration method: Applicants should submit their applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will examine the applicants’ qualifications and those who pass the preliminary selection will attend bilingual interviews in English and Chinese.
(3) Submission requirements for application materials: Applicants are requested to submit the completed Application Form for Labor Dispatch Position, CV and Job Application Letter (including reasons for application, job-related work basis and work plan, etc.)in both English and Chinese, ID, papers and representative works in Chinese and English, and scanned copies of academic degree certificates during undergraduate and postgraduate studies (fresh graduates will be provided with scanned copies of employment recommendation forms), awards (for fresh graduates, a scanned copy of the employment recommendation form), scanned copies of certificates and references to your work history. All these documents should be sent as an attachment in the form of a RAR package. (The RAR package name and email subject should be named as follows: department + position+ name + mobile phone number), and send it to email@example.com
Contact person: Ms. Guo