Marine Data Specialist
Secretariat of the European Marine Observation and Data Network (EMODnet)
The Secretariat of the European Marine Observation and Data Network (EMODnet), provided by Seascape Consultants Ltd, seeks to recruit an enthusiastic and motivated data expert to contribute to its activities related to research and analysis on the quality, availability and interoperability of marine data in Europe. This work will have particular focus on performance assessment and technical monitoring of the data portals operated by EMODnet, but will also involve interaction with other developments and data initiatives in Europe. The successful candidate will have first-hand experience with data management and sound technical knowledge of advanced ICT tools, data infrastructures and platforms. A good understanding of the marine science, management and policy landscape in Europe as well as the data and information requirements of the main stakeholders operating in this domain would be an advantage. Tasks will also include work on data needs for those involved in environmental monitoring/reporting and/or marine spatial planning processes.
EMODnet is a long-term marine data initiative from the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (DG MARE) underpinning its Marine Knowledge 2020 strategy. EMODnet comprises a consortium of more than 160 organisations assembling European marine data, data products and metadata from diverse sources. The main purpose of EMODnet is to unlock fragmented and hidden marine data resources, make these data widely available and to facilitate investment in sustainable coastal and offshore activities through improved access to quality-assured, standardised and interoperable marine data that are free of restrictions on use. Currently, EMODnet comprises seven sub-portals that provide access to marine data covering bathymetry, geology, physics, chemistry, biology, seabed habitats and human activities. More information can be found on the EMODnet central portal (www.emodnet.eu) and Maritime Forum (https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/maritimeforum/). The EMODnet community is supported by a dedicated Secretariat based in Ostend, Belgium.
Seascape Consultants Ltd is an environmental consultancy based in southern UK, with a satellite office in Ostend, Belgium. We specialise in the provision of high-level advice to the marine sector, including industry, policymakers, NGOs and regulatory bodies. Our expertise includes strategic environmental assessment, stakeholder consultation and engagement, ocean governance and the management of marine data and information. We work alongside leading scientists around the world, and are partners in a number of major European research programmes addressing marine issues. For a full overview of the project portfolio and activities, please visit our website at www.seascapeconsultants.co.uk
Duties and responsibilities:
• Work closely with the EMODnet Secretariat team to help refine the monitoring methodology and carry out a full technical assessment of the EMODnet data portals in terms of effectiveness, efficiency and user satisfaction. This will include appropriate testing of EMODnet portals’ functionality, compatibility, performance, security, usability and data quality.
• Help to evaluate and improve the set of indicators in place to measure the performance of the EMODnet data portals and the subsequent use of data by thematic portal users.
• Contribute to pan-European technical studies on data requirements, e.g. for the implementation of marine spatial planning with an initial focus on suitability of data platforms for MSP, data sharing mechanisms and interoperability issues.
• Contribute to Seascape’s tasks in the Horizon 2020 project AtlantOS, in particular by:
??- providing support to EMODnet data system managers to ensure proper integration and improved interoperability between existing systems, in partnership with AtlantOS networks;
– assisting AtlantOS partners in defining specifications for the establishment of two web- based monitoring tools for the European and international contributions to the AtlantOS in- situ observing system.
• Work with other members of the EMODnet Secretariat and Seascape Consultants in contributing to reports and deliverables;
• Travel to meetings elsewhere in Europe may be required from time to time.
Profile and competences required:
The successful candidate is expected to have the following competences:
• Postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline at Masters level or higher, preferably an ICT-domain;
• Demonstrable track record with at least three years of experience working as a data specialist involving
data manipulation, assessment and management;
• Ability to contribute to data portal testing, from both the user perspective and in terms of the technical
framework required to deliver an effective data service to users;
• Knowledge of advanced ICT terminology, tools and data management software, including GIS, web-
services and data standards will be essential;
• Knowledge of exchange standards such as JSON, architecture and implementation of APIs (more specifically RESTful APIs). Competent use of programming language such as Java and/or related technologies (Servlets/JSP/J2EE) would be a plus;
• Familiarity with key user communities (e.g. those dealing with environmental monitoring/reporting and marine spatial planning processes), particularly in relation to their needs for data, information and knowledge;
• Good knowledge of the European marine science and policy landscape is desirable;
• Excellent standard of spoken and written English; knowledge of other European languages would be an
• Good communication skills: able to report progress and issues in an effective manner internally and
externally at (technical) expert group meetings;
• Excellent organisational skills with capacity to multitask, deliver on allocated tasks and meet deadlines;
• Be able to build successful and productive relationships with stakeholders, user groups and other project
Salary: This post commands an attractive remuneration package, in line with local conditions. Salary will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Application procedure: Written applications comprising a cover letter and CV should be submitted via email to Vikki Gunn, email@example.com. Closing date for applications is 30 December 2016. It is anticipated that interviews for shortlisted candidates will be scheduled for 11/12 January 2016.
For more information contact:
Dr Vikki Gunn, Director, Seascape Consultants Ltd e: firstname.lastname@example.org
t: +44 (0) 1794 367797
Mr Jan-Bart Calewaert, Head, EMODnet Secretariat / Seascape Consultants Ltd e: email@example.com
t: +32 (0) 59 341428