Post-Doc in Remote Sensing, at KOPRI (Korea Polar Research Institute)
Location: Incheon, The Republic of Korea (South Korea)
Start date: Available immediately (start date negotiable)
Title: Postdoctoral Scholar
Appointment term: Initially 1 year, annually renewable for up to 4 total years upon performance review and availability of funds
Salary: From $47,000 (57,000,000 KRW) a year, depending on qualifications and experience. Insurance and retirement allowance are included.
The Korea Polar Research Institute (KOPRI, http://eng.kopri.re.kr) is looking for a highly motivated a postdoctoral scientist with excellent (polar) remote sensing. The successful candidate will work on cryosphere and ocean on polar region (ocean, land, atmosphere) using remote sensing data/techniques, and will be primarily responsible for:
- Developing remote sensing techniques
- Environmental change (long- or short-term)
- Sensor development for UAV
- Polar region field observation (Ice breaker, ice camp, etc.)
- English writing (articles, reports, research proposals, etc.)
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
- PhD. degree in Geoscience, Oceanography, Computer Sciences, Statistics, Engineering, Applied Math, or a similar field.
- Multi-year advanced level programming experience (C, C++, Python, Matlab, IDL, etc).
- Experience in developing image processing, pattern recognition, statistical analysis, microwave signal processing, time series analysis algorithms for remote sensing.
- Formal training and solid theoretical understanding of the following concepts:
- Environmental (Land, Ocean, Atmosphere) remote sensing
- Microwave remote sensing
- Multivariate statistical analysis
- Machine learning and statistical pattern recognition
- Geographic Information System
- Great dedication to the project success; willingness and ability to work in the polar regions; ability to frequently switch different tasks.
- Communication skills (both written and spoken) in English language.
- Ability to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary team.
Applications should be sent by email and include the following “five” items:
- Cover Letter (1 page) which must specifically address the applicant’s qualifications with respect to the above items.
- Curriculum Vita including list of publications.
- Copy of publications (Ph.D thesis, and articles etc.).
- Statement of career/research interests and goals (1-2 pages).
- Contact information for at least two professional references and one letter of reference.
Please email your applications materials to:
Hyun-Cheol Kim, email@example.com (with cc: firstname.lastname@example.org) with the title: “Postdoc in Remote Sensing: your family name”
Please note that due to high volume of applications we may not be able to contact every applicant. Selected candidates may be contacted to arrange a telephone or an in-person interview.