Job/Fellowship Reference: IPMA-2016-81-BPD
The Instituto Português do Mar e da Atmosfera, I.P. (IPMA) opens a call, within 10 days from the date of publication of this announcement, to award one Research Grant for a persons with a PhD degree in the frame of the project “Exploratory Research” (IF_00271_2013_CP1202_CT0001)
Main research field: Marine Biology
Sub research field: Marine biotoxins
Admission requirements: The candidate must hold a PhD degree in Biology or related area. The candidate should have experience in determination of marine toxins including ciguatoxins. Should have experience in analytical determination of ciguatoxins via cell based assays and liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry detection. The candidate should also have experience in cultivation of toxic algae.
· Maintenance of toxic microalgae cuture and scale-up for biomass production;
· Extraction and purification of ciguatoxins and other emerging toxins from algae cultures;
· Extraction and purification of ciguatoxins and other emerging toxins in tissues of contaminated organisms, namely fish, bivalve mollusks and gastropods;
· Development and setup of cell based assays for routine analysis of ciguatoxins;
· Development and setup of LCMSMS methods for determination of ciguatoxins and other emerging toxins;
· Preparation of reports, research articles and databases.
Legislation and regulation applicable: Law No. 40/2004 of 18 August (Statute of the Scholarships for Scientific Research), as amended by Law No. 202/2012 of 27 August, Decree-Law No. 89/2013, of July 9, Decree-Law No. 233/2013 of 29 October, Law No. 12/2013 of 29 January, Regulation No 326/2013 of 27 August. Grants Regulation of the FCT, I. P., approved by Regulation No 234/2012 of 25 June, amended and republished by Regulation No 326/2013 of 27 August and amended by Regulation No 339/2015, June 17. Internal Regulations for Scholarships for Scientific Research of IPMA, IP, approved by FCT, by Order of 17 December 2012.
Value of monthly maintenance allowance: According to the table of research grants in force, according to the rules of FCT and IPMA (1495 €).
Workplace: The work will be developed at the DivOA, at the IPMA-Algés, under the supervision of Dr. Pedro Reis Costa
Duration of the grant: The scholarship will have duration of 12 months, it will begin in January 1st, 2017.
Academic education: PhD in Biology or related area.
Methods and selection criteria: The selection criteria are the following: a) curriculum evaluation, b) interview. The final classification (CF) is obtained as follows: CF= A + 2B + C, where A is the general CV, B is the experience relevant for the execution of the work plan and C is the classification of the interview. The parameter A is obtained by the following formula A = (Research Articles x 0.50) + (Book Chapters x 0.25) + (Oral Communications x 0.25). Only ISI papers, book chapters with ISBN from international publishing companies and oral communications from international conferences, within the scope of the required working plan will be considered. The parameter B is obtained according to the experience on: cultivation of toxic marine microalgae 0.5 points, determination of ciguatoxins by cell bases assays 2.0 points, determination of other toxins by cell based assays 1.0 points, determination of ciguatoxins via LCMSMS 1.0 points, determination of other toxins via LCMSMS 0.5 points. The parameter C is obtained evaluating the following criteria: critical sense, technical competence, motivation, fluency in English, commitment and willpower. Each criterion will be rated from zero to five, being C the sum of these 5 criteria divided by 5. All parameters, A, B and C are graded from zero to five.
Applications: Applications must be formalized mandatorily under penalty of exclusion, by sending:
· Form available at:
· Detailed CV and signed;
· Photocopies of the Certificate of Qualification/ Diplomas;
· Photocopies of the documents attesting the professional skills/experiences and letters of recommendation.
Note: During the recruitment process, the original of the requested documents may be required by the jury, as well the evidence of valid identification document, or residence permit for foreign nationals.
Submission of applications: Applications must be submitted by the deadline set in this notice, using one of the following means:
a) In electronic format to email@example.com. It is mandatory that the subject of the email message state the full reference of the call, otherwise the application could not be admitted;
b) By post mail to the following address: Rua C do Aeroporto, 1749-077 Lisboa, Portugal. The stamp date will be the date of the application to the call.
c) In person at IPMA facilities located in Rua C do Aeroporto, 1749-077 Lisboa, Portugal.
President: Pedro José Conde Reis Costa
1st Effective Member: Alexandra Maria Azinheira Duarte Silva
2nd Effective Member: António Manuel Barros Marques
1st Substitute Member: Paulo João Vieira Vale
2nd Substitute Member: Catia Alexandra Vieira Bartilotti
Application deadline: this offer is available for 10 (ten) business days from its publication at the IPMA website.
Publication of results / notification: The final evaluation results will be publicized in a visible and public place through a list sorted by final score, and the candidates notified by email.
· The opening announcement should be consulted on the IPMA website, available in http://www.ipma.pt/pt/investigacao/bolsas/
· Under exceptional situations and properly justified the jury of the contest may abdicate of the hearing of interested parties
· In case of any discrepancy between the announcement in Portuguese and in English, will prevail announcement in Portuguese.
· The jury reserves the right not to make an award if candidates of sufficient merit do not apply.
· The present offer does not give any rights to the candidates.
· The recruitment of candidates will depend on the settlement of revenue.
· For any further information or clarifications please contact Bolsas@ipma.pt