Research Fellowship with Masters of Science – Aquaculture
Job/Fellowship Reference: IPMA-2016-82-BI
The Instituto Português do Mar e da Atmosfera, I.P. (IPMA) opens a call, within 10 days from the date of publication of this announcement, to award one Research Grant for a person with a MSc degree in the frame of the project CERES “Climate change and European aquatic RESources” (refª 678193) founded in the in the frame of the Horizon2020-Blue Growth.
1. Master of Science graduation in one of the following areas: Biology, Biochemistry, Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biological Engineering, Biotechnological Engineering and Veterinary Medicine.
2. Preferably, this scholarship is intended for researchers with a University graduation of at least 4 years and attested qualification in English
3. Confirmed experience in: a) elaboration of scientific reports; b) elaboration of biological samplings in marine invertebrates and vertebrates; c) maintenance of farmed marine vertebrates and invertebrates; d) quantification of chemical contaminants in biological samples; e) evaluation of metabolic, physiology and toxicology conditions in marine organisms; f) microbiological techniques in biological samples for identification and quantitation of marine microorganisms; and g) preparation of scientific manuscripts in peer reviewed indexed journals. Availability to work on weekends and holidays is required.
4. Fluent writing and oral communication skills in English and Portuguese.
5. Good communication skills.
Work plan: The work plan involves several tasks: a) execution of laboratorial trials with marine live organisms in simulated climate change scenario; b) evaluation of climate change indirect effects, such as pathologies caused by microorganisms, marine toxins and jellyfish; c) evaluation of toxicological and physiological changes in marine organisms subjected to climate change; d) modeling and statistical analysis of biological data obtained in the experimental designs; e e) implementation of microbiological techniques in biological samples for identification and quantitation of marine microorganisms.
Legislation and regulation applicable: Law No. 40/2004 of 18th August (Statute of Scholarships for Scientific Research), amended by the Law No. 202/2012 of 27th August, Decree-Law No. 89/2013, of 9th July, Decree-Law No. 233/2013 of 29th October, Law No. 12/2013 of 29th January. Grants Regulation of FCT, I.P., approved by the Regulation No 234/2012 of 25th June, amended and republished by the Regulation No 326/2013 of 27th August and changed by the Regulation No 339/2015, of 17th June. Internal Regulations for Scholarships of IPMA, I.P., approved by FCT, by Order of 17th December 2012.
Value of monthly maintenance allowance: According to the table of research grants in force, attributed by FCT and IPMA (980 €).
Workplace: The work will be developed at DivAV-Algés (IPMA) and LMG-Cascais, under the supervision of Dr. António Marques.
Duration of the grant: The scholarship will have duration of 12 (twelve) months it will begin to February 2017, eventually renewable until the end of the project (March 2020)
Academic education: Master of Science graduation in one of the following areas: Biology, Biochemistry, Food Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biological Engineering, Biotechnological Engineering and Veterinary Medicine.
Methods and selection criteria: The selection of valid applications will be made by curricular evaluation, with eliminatory character and interview.
The Curricular Evaluation (AC) will assess the Academic Qualification (HA), the specific Professional Experience (EP), and the authorship and co-authorship of Scientific Publications and Reports in the relevant scientific areas (TC), including peer reviewed scientific journals, each factor being quantifies according to the following equation:
The Final Classification (CF), expressed between 0 and 20, will correspond to the arithmetic mean of scores obtained in the Curricular Evaluation and in the Interview, being represented by the following equation:
CF = 50%AC+50%E
Depending in the applications received, the jury has the right to not undertake interviews. In this way, the final classification list will correspond to the Curricular Evaluation of the applicants.
Applications: Applications must be formalized mandatorily under penalty of exclusion, by sending:
· Form available at:
· Presentation letter;
· Detailed and signed CV;
· Photocopies of the Certificate of Qualification/ Diplomas;
· Photocopies of the documents attesting the professional skills/experience, such as letters of recommendation, courses and short stays, etc.
Note: During the recruitment process, the originals of the requested documents may be required by the jury, as well evidences of valid identification document, or residence permit for foreign citizens.
Submission of applications: Applications must be submitted until the deadline set in this notice, using one of the following means:
a) In electronic format to email@example.com. It is mandatory that the subject of the email message states the full reference of the call, otherwise the application may not be admitted;
b) By post mail to the following address: Rua C do Aeroporto, 1749-077 Lisboa, Portugal. The stamp date will be considered as the date of the application to the call.
c) In person at IPMA facilities (Expedient section) located at Rua C do Aeroporto, 1749-077 Lisboa, Portugal.
President: Dr. António Manuel Barros Marques;
1st Effective Member: Dr. ª Helena Maria Lourenço
2nd Effective Member: Dr. ª Narcisa Bandarra;
1st Substitute Member: Dr. ª Amparo Gonçalves;
2nd Substitute Member: Dr. Pedro Pousão-Ferreira
Application deadline: This offer is available for 10 (ten) business days from its publication at the IPMA website.
Publication of results / notification: The final evaluation results will be publicized in a visible and public place through a list sorted by final score, and the candidates notified by email.
· The opening announcement should be consulted at IPMA website, available at http://www.ipma.pt/pt/investigacao/bolsas/
· Under exceptional situations and properly justified the jury of the contest may abdicate of hearing the interested parties
· In case of any discrepancy between the announcement in Portuguese and in English, the announcement in Portuguese will prevail.
· The jury reserves the right not to grand any scholarship, if candidates of sufficient merit do not apply.
· The present offer does not give any rights to the candidates.
· The recruitment of candidates will depend on available funding from the project funding source.
· For any further information or clarifications please contact Bolsas@ipma.pt