two studentships/scholarships to commence PhD studies in the Coral Reef Algae Ecology Lab at Griffith University-Brisbane in Jan-Feb 2017.
The PhD candidates will join a recently funded project in collaboration with A/Prof Catriona Hurd (Univ. of Tasmania) and Prof Bob Steneck (Univ. of Maine) to investigate the potential for tropical macroalgae to acclimate/adapt to global environmental changes. Special emphasis will be placed on coralline and fleshy algae from the Great Barrier Reef.
Interested candidates should:
• Be able to commence by January – February 2017.
• Have diving experience and ideally basic to moderate knowledge of coral reef ecology.
• Condition of the scholarship requires applicants to have a Bachelor of Science with Honours with at least one or more publication(s) as first author. Non-Australian applicants must have a Masters Degree (or equivalent) with preferably one or more publication(s) as first author.
• Have excellent understanding of experimental design and quantitative skills.
• Be able to spend time in remote research stations.
• Be self-motivated, committed, and able to work as part of a team.
• Have strong proficiency in written English.
• Interested applicants should email me at their earliest convenience (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a statement of interest, a curriculum vitae and contact information for 2 professional references. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed (by telephone or Skype) and successful candidates will be recommended to apply to the university scholarship scheme (https://www.griffith.edu.au/higher-de…/research-scholarships). A final selection panel will decide on the award of scholarships.
• Further application information is available here:https://www.griffith.edu.au/higher-de…/research-scholarships.
• Funding: Griffith University Postgraduate Research Scholarship-GUPRS provides a living allowance of AUD $26,288 per annum. Australian and NZ citizens and Australian permanent residents are exempt from paying tuition fees. The Griffith University International Postgraduate Research Scholarship – GUIPRS covers tuition fees for the international applicant for up to three years.
• Applications to the university scholarship scheme close: Monday 3 October 2016.
• Applications without personal contact with the prospective supervisor (Diaz-Pulido) are unlikely to succeed, so take the initiative and start the conversation now!