A global study of coastal Deoxygenation, Ocean Acidification and Productivity at selected sites (2017-underway)
The NANO-DOAP Project began in April 2017 as the continuity of the previous regional observation projects funded by NF-POGO. The general objectives of NANO-DOAP are:
- Support in-situ measurements of selected Essential Oceanographic Variables (EOVs) at participant study sites.
- Compile data submitted by the participants into a NANO global database of selected EOV and support comparative analyses among study sites, focusing on levels of productivity, acidification and deoxygenation.
- Provide capacity building opportunities to the project participants on marine data management and observation and data analysis methods through workshops and webinars.
- Initiate and promote outreach and citizen-science activities to raise awareness about the importance of the marine environment and the threats facing it.
Specific objectives for the current year (April 2020 – March 2021) are:
- Continue to support the on-going bimonthly sampling in 16 study sites.
- Improve NANO-DOAP measurement network by involving more NANO members, especially from countries in Africa, Latin America and South-East Asia.
- Compile and analyse the data collected by all participants.
- Prepare a second round of NANO Global Project Webinar Series.
- Organize the second meeting of the NANO-DOAP tentatively in June 2020, hosted by NGP participants intuitions.