Academic Staff Member
Environmental Management & Marine
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of New Zealand’s newest, and the Bay of Plenty’s largest, tertiary education provider.
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology is one of New Zealand’s largest Institutes of Technology serving the Bay of Plenty and South Waikato regions with major campuses in Rotorua, Tauranga, Whakatane, Taupo and Tokoroa, and learning centres spread across the region.
We are a new institution formed on 1 May 2016 by bringing together Bay of Plenty Polytechnic and Waiariki Institute of Technology to create one very successful institution providing quality education to local, national and international students.
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology is committed to providing relevant targeted vocation and professional education to meet current and future employment needs. You will be part of an institution that will support the region to grow, increasing access and participation and ensuring enhanced education and employment outcomes for our students.
This position is for an Academic Staff Member with the Marine & Environmental team in the School of Applied Science. This role involves teaching on our Diploma in Environmental Management, Diploma in Marine Studies and Degree programmes. As an ASM within this team you will be required to teach in the classroom and tutor students; research, review, and update resources and classroom materials; set and mark assessments and enter results; assist with the recruitment and care of students; and actively participate in the team and school environment.
The key responsibilities for this position include:
- Delivery of Diploma in Environmental Management, Diploma in Marine Studies and Degree programmes
- Providing leadership in student management
- Developing, planning and implementing student assessment, courses and resource material
- Monitoring student progress and results and providing timely and accurate advice and support as required
- Planning and timetabling for the programme as well as assisting with recruitment
The skills, experience and qualifications required for this role include:
- Masters Degree in Biological Science, Ecology, Geology or other closely related area.
- Ability to teach adults, to level seven, New Zealand terrestrial vertebrate biology, ecology and monitoring, environmental legislation, geology and coastal geomorphology and are able to deliver these in an exciting and applied manner. It is also preferable that you have skills in areas such as waste management,
- Wide range of practical skills in the outdoor terrestrial environments and an ability to lead students on both day and multiday field trips.
- An understanding and knowledge of environmental related education and training at a tertiary education level as well as preferably having experience in teaching
As a responsible employer and education provider, Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology is committed to the protection of children and vulnerable persons and applies relevant policy and practice to meet this commitment. Successful candidates will be required to undergo relevant vetting and employment checks.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: 2 April 2017