The Wadden Sea Station at the Alfred Wegener Institute (AWI) on the island of Sylt, Germany, invites applications for a PostDoc position available within the recently funded project “sea4soCiety-Searching for solutions for Carbon-sequestration in coastal ecosystems”. Sea4soCiety aims at developing innovative and societally accepted approaches to improve the natural potential for carbon storage in vegetation-rich coastal ecosystems. Sea4society will determine the quantity and quality of the “blue carbon” stores in four different types of coastal ecosystems. The available position at AWI will primarily focus on research in coastal vegetation in Germany.
- Investigation of carbon sequestration and carbon storage in vegetated coastal areas of the North and Baltic Sea.
- Conduction of large mesocosm experiments to elucidate the impact of future climate conditions on carbon cycling in coastal vegetation.
- Planning and conduction of collaborative interdisciplinary field-campaigns in Germany
- Contribution to project-governance; work-package leadership
- PhD degree in environmental biology, chemistry, geology or related sciences
- Research experience in blue carbon and/or aquatic carbon chemistry is a strong advantage
- Experience in project management and project leadership is an advantage.
- Experience in interdisciplinary collaboration is an advantage.
- Excellent level of written and spoken English is a requirement.
- Excellent level of written and spoken German is a strong advantage.
This is a full-time position, limited to 31 months. It is also suitable for part-time employment. The salary will be paid in accordance with the Collective Agreement for the Public Service of the Federation (Tarifvertrag des öffentlichen Dienstes, TVöD Bund), up to salary level 13. The place of employment will be Sylt.
Postdocs have to register with AWI’s postdoc office PROCEED, thereby gaining access to a set of tailor-made career development tools.
We look forward to your application!
Reference number: 21/186/D/Bio-b