To lead and inspire a team of this calibre, not only will you need to be a world-class expert in your field, you’ll also need experience of motivating a team to do better. Inspirational, influential and a great relationship builder, you have the commercial awareness to help us achieve our ambitions. Beyond that, we’re looking for someone who’ll thrive in an environment like ours. At NPL we learn from each other, respect each other and work together to do better. For ourselves and for our customers. And whilst we’re always looking to stretch beyond what we know, we don’t make things more complicated when there’s no need. Together, we’re helping make the impossible, possible.
The Climate and Earth Observation group at NPL is a world leader in the theory, methods and practice of metrological traceability of Earth Observation (EO) instrumentation and their data products. CEO projects span the full life cycle of EO instrumentation traceability; from pre-flight calibration, in-orbit validation & sensor inter-operability, together with L1, L2 and derived product quality assurance.
We are looking for a scientific leader with significant experience in working with satellite data, either in the development or validation of Earth observation products and services or in the application of satellite data in data assimilation or for climate studies.
The successful candidate will join the CEO team to seek and bid for new opportunities of work in the application of metrological techniques and with an emphasis on data quality to their field of expertise, working collaboratively with senior scientific and the group leader to develop capability within the team to expand NPL’s portfolio of delivery and meet customer requirements. They will be responsible for leading their technical area, developing a technical strategy which aligns to the NPL vision for satellite Earth observation data used in climate studies enables by the robust application of metrology through uncertainty assessments and quality frameworks.
The candidate will be encouraged to pursue continual professional development, membership of professional bodies (which will be subsidised) and will receive on-the-job training and support. In addition, the role involves attending and presenting at international conferences and leading and contributing to peer-reviewed publications.
- Provide leadership, co-ordination and expertise in the application of metrological techniques to their area of Climate science and Earth Observation to deliver demonstrable impact to society
- Build long-term relationships with customers and project partners and establish a detailed strategy for your technical area that aligns with NPL’s priorities and is complementary to other NPL activity. Work collaboratively with other senior scientists at NPL and with NPL’s strategy team to ensure a joined up approach for our customers.
- Establish and apply world class science/engineering knowledge to provide innovative solutions to important challenges, and build new capability including new products and services
- Provide scientific leadership to a team of scientists, coaching and developing those scientists. Review the quality of technical documentation and scientific publications and provide a culture of constructive feedback, ongoing peer review and excellence.
- Create opportunities to maintain and enhance NPL’s profile externally, promoting and disseminating the capability and the outputs of the work. Represent NPL in external committees.
- Identify, prepare and develop technical proposals (working with, or as the bid lead) to meet bid requirements that are consistent with the Group and NPL strategy
- Assume responsibility for the standard of delivery in your technical area (to time, cost and quality with focus on the customer) and ensure that all work is delivered in accordance with the NPL quality system
- Coach and mentor more junior scientists to ensure development, succession and knowledge transfer
- Model and promote NPL’s values. Work individually and collectively to embed the values and increase their manifestation in behaviours within your team
- Strong, evidenced internationally-recognised research expertise in a field that expands CEO’s current knowledge base
- Experienced leader capable of supporting a research team, with the ability to manage both staff and projects
- Track record of winning and managing funding opportunities from customers
- Good understanding of the metrological principles of uncertainty analysis.
- Strong customer focus
- Strong communication skills with proven ability to collaborate with other senior scientists and project partners
In addition, we require:
- Degree in Physics, Maths or Earth Science or a related subject. PhD or equivalent years of experience.
- Strong scientific and mathematical skills
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
You may also be expected to travel to international locations for conferences and to meet customers in the UK and abroad.
For application, please follow this link.