Open position: Project Officer – Deadline 08 May 2023
The State Key Laboratory of Marine Environmental Science (MEL) at Xiamen University is seeking a full-time Project Officer for the dual International Project Office (IPO) of the Surface Ocean – Lower Atmosphere Study (SOLAS). The position is based in Xiamen, China.
SOLAS is a global and multidisciplinary research project with the primary objective “To achieve quantitative understanding of the key biogeochemical-physical interactions and feedbacks between the ocean and atmosphere, and of how this coupled system affects and is affected by climate and environmental change.”
Since September 2017, MEL has hosted the SOLAS Nodal Office, which has been elevated into a full SOLAS IPO (IPO-China) in January 2021. The IPO-China closely collaborates with the SOLAS IPO in Ireland to provide mutual support on major SOLAS tasks, including:
- supporting the Scientific Steering Committee (SSC) in implementing the SOLAS 2015-2025 Science Plan and Organisation;
- assisting with worldwide scientific information dissemination;
- communicating and coordinating with the SOLAS sponsors (Future Earth, iCACGP, SCOR and WCRP), partner organisations and projects, and research teams worldwide;
- facilitating training and career enhancement opportunities for young researchers.
The Project Officer will be employed as MEL staff, under the administration of MEL. He/she will assist the Co-Executive Director of the SOLAS IPO, Dr. Li Li based in Xiamen, in cooperation with the SOLAS IPO in Ireland to support the SOLAS SSC in implementing the project and facilitating communication and collaboration throughout the SOLAS network.
The Project Officer will lead or contribute to scientific coordination and communication activities including:
- assisting in organizing SOLAS events (i.e. workshops, seminars, summer schools, open science conferences);
- compiling, editing, and distributing content, including monthly newsletters, announcements, and event reports;
- maintaining the SOLAS website, social media accounts, and publication database.
The post holder should have at a minimum:
- a Master’s degree in oceanography, atmospheric science, or a related field;
- excellent written and spoken communication skills in English;
- excellent written and spoken communication skills in Chinese.
The following qualifications will be considered advantageous for the post:
- experience in coordination and organisation of international large scientific events;
- writing, communication, and outreach experience with multiple forms of media (Mailchimp, WeChat, etc);
- excellent graphic design & artistic skills
- good interpersonal and presentation skills;
- willingness to undertake international and national travel.
The ability to work in China is a requirement. This is a soft-money position, which is funded based on a fixed-term contract for 36 months (with a 3-month probation period), starting in June 2023. The position will be offered with full MEL staff benefits. The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please send a CV, a cover letter (1-page maximum), and a personal statement as well as the names and email addresses of 3 referees to Chengcheng Gao (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Junzi Chen (email@example.com). Please quote the ref. ‘Project Officer, SOLAS IPO-China’ (in the subject heading of email).
For questions or more information about the position, contact Chengcheng Gao (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Evaluation of applications will begin on 8 May 2023, but the position will remain open until filled.