Open position: Professor/Associate professor in Botany – Deadline 17 October 2022
About the position
The Faculty of Biosciences and Aquaculture, Nord University, Norway, invites applications for a permanent full time position as professor/associate professor in botany.
We seek applicants who can strengthen our research and teaching in the unit for terrestrial ecology and nature management in Steinkjer. The successful candidate must have a botanical background and good species knowledge of the Scandinavian lichens or fungi.
The successful applicant’s research must focus on lichens, fungi or vegetation ecology. It is advantageous if you can document research in taxonomy/systematics of one of these groups, preferably including molecular methods but we lay most weight on field research. We would prefer that you work on these groups in boreal, alpine or arctic areas and have experience curating voucher specimens for permanent scientific collections. It is advantageous if you show the ability to acquire external funding for large projects. We seek a candidate who brings with them a network of collaborative relationships with other scientific institutions.
The successful candidate must be able to teach about lichens and fungi at the bachelor and master level. There may also be teaching obligations in basic biology of vascular plants, bryophytes and vegetation ecology as well as field teaching. Teaching at the bachelor level is in Norwegian and we need a candidate who can teach in a Scandinavian language from the start. Applicants will ideally have supervised master students to completion and have some experience from supervision of PhD candidates.
The position is located in Steinkjer.
The position may involve tasks at Nord University’s other campuses.
Tasks and responsibilities
As an Professor/Associate Professor you will:
- teach and contribute to the development of the degree programmes at the faculty
- supervise bachelor, master and PhD students
- apply for external funding
- set up and develop your own research line and research group
- maintain a good publication record
- maintain an international scientific network
- contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, in the domains of teaching, research and management
- disseminate your research results and promote the societal relevance of your work
- initiate and develop interdisciplinary research projects in collaboration with colleagues
- contribute to the development of the academic community at the faculty
Work tasks may change depending on the faculty’s research and teaching needs, and the talents of the employee. For instance, after familiarizing with the education system, appointees may take the responsibility of programme coordinator. The position allocates 45% of your time to research, 45% to teaching activities and 10% to organizational tasks and outreach activities.
Position as Professor:
- The position requires professor- level competence within the relevant subject areas. The qualification requirement as an professor is an academic level in accordance with international standards in the applicable subject areas
- Beyond the basic skills within planning, implementation, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision that apply in terms of general educational skills, the applicant must also document the following: quality development in teaching and supervision, broad supervisory experience and joint professional development of educational quality. New supplementary provisions for educational competence came into effect on 1 September, 2019. For further information, see the university’s web page
Position as Associate Professor:
- Employment in the position as associate professor requires a Norwegian doctorate within the relevant field of study or equivalent foreign- earned doctorate approved as being equal to the Norwegian PhD, or competence at a corresponding level documented by scientific/ academic production of the same scope and quality
- Teaching experience from university/college and skills in respect of planning, implementation, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision. New supplementary provisions for educational competence came into effect on 1 September, 2019. For further information, see the university’s web page. Any applicants who are unable to provide documentary proof of adequate professional educational competence when employed must acquire such competence over the course of a two-year period. Nord University offers such a course om University Pedagogy which covers this requirement
For all scientific positions:
- Good oral and written presentation skills in English and Norwegian (or possibly another Scandinavian language)
- For applicants who do not have one of the Scandinavian languages as their native language, oral and written Norwegian language skills must be documented
Qualified applicants will be ranked according to the following criteria:
- Research and development with relevance to the position
- Emphasis will be placed on publications within the last five years
- Experience with international research networks and projects with external funding
- Experience from teaching and academic supervision at bachelor-, master- and doctoral- levels from the university and college sector
- Educational qualifications from a college, university or equivalent
- Pedagogical skills
- Relevant professional practice
- Good skills in communication and collaboration with students, colleagues
- Individual qualities that can contribute positively to the workplace environment
The position is compensated according to government regulations, LPL 17.510, code 1013 Professor or code 1011 Associate Professor. Salary by agreement.
- Advantages within the Government Pension Fund for borrowing, insurance and pension
- Creative and collegial working environment
- A workplace with steady progressive development
- Flexible working hours
- Active university sports team
The person who is appointed must abide by the applicable laws, agreements, and directives. The responsibilities and duties associated with the position may change with future reorganization at Nord University.
The public sector workforce is expected to reflect the diversity of the population in general. Nord University therefore encourages qualified candidates with disabilities, gaps in their CV, immigrant backgrounds or different life experience to apply for the position. Nord University practices moderate allocation according to gender quotas in accordance with the Basic Agreement for State Employees.
If applicants indicate that they have disabilities or gaps in their CV, their details may be used anonymously for the purposes of governmental annual review.
Women are encouraged to apply.
Further information about the position can be obtained by contacting :
- Associate Professor Jan Eivind Østnes, firstname.lastname@example.org phone: +47 74112125
- Associate Professor Amy Eycott, email@example.com, phone: +47 74112138
Applicants will be evaluated by an expert committee. Short-listed applicants will be called for an interview and trial lecture. These will be decisive for the appointment.
Applications must be submitted online by the closing date of 17.10.2022.
The electronic application must contain:
- Cover letter
- Complete CV summarizing education, positions held, teaching and research experience, publications, administrative experience and other qualifying activities
- Copies of diplomas, transcripts and certificates
- Complete copies of up to 15 of the most relevant publications / academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered, along with a list of those submitted. The list should include five publications that the applicant believes to be most important, along with the reasons why. The doctoral dissertation should be included
- Pedagogical CV and reflection note in accordance with supplementary provisions for educational competence
- Documentation of other activities which the applicant considers relevant to the position and desires to be considered in the assessment
- Contact information for 2-3 referees
All documentation to be considered is to be uploaded as attachments to the application.
Complete documentation in electronic form must be submitted by the closing date for applications.
After the application period has expired a list of applicants will be published. Note that, in special cases, the identity of particular applicants to a position may be made public even when that applicant has requested that their application be processed confidentially. Applicants requesting an exemption from publication of their identity must explain their reasons for doing so in their application. In this case, advance notice will be given in the event of a decision to make any information about the applicant public.
Application deadline: 17.10.2022.
More information can be found here.