EXTENDED DEADLINE UNTIL 31 JANUARY 2020 FOR APPLICATION OF TUTORIAL CAPACITY BUILDING AND CALL FOR ABSTRACT DURING 15TH PAN OCEAN REMOTE SENSING CONFERENCE (PORSEC2020) (http://www.geoinfo.utm.my/porsec)
We are delighted to inform that Faculty of Built Environment and Surveying, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia will host the 15th Pan Ocean Remote Sensing Conference (PORSEC2020) from 20 – 22 September 2020 di Johor Bahru, Malaysia. The 5-days Tutorial Capacity Building will be held prior to the conference from 15-19 September 2020.
We would like to seek your kind assistance to disseminate about the events among your colleagues, researchers and students.
Attached herewith are the conference brochure, the tutorial detailed information and the registration form for your further attention.
Dr. Nurul Hazrina Idris
Chair of LOC PORSEC2020
Tutorial Capacity Building in the 15th Pan Ocean Remote Sensing Conference (PORSEC)
15-19 September 2020
We would like to invite you to participate in the upcoming Tutorial Capacity Building in conjunction with the PORSEC 2020 conference from 15th to 19th September 2020 which will be held at Faculty of Built Environment and Surveying, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor Bahru, Malaysia. The 5 days tutorial offers expert training for students, and young scientists. The tutorial focus on existing instruments in space and on methods of analysis and visualization. One of the unique aspects of the PORSEC tutorial is that most of the instructors are current or past PORSEC officers, who are experienced remote sensing scientists, which gives participants a valuable networking experience, in addition to the knowledge and skills taught during the tutorial. Participants will be given following exposure such as:
· Theoretical information as well as practical exercises along with a variety of data and software.
· Fundamentals of visible, thermal and microwave remote sensing, satellite wind and wave data, satellite altimetry, ocean color data, fisheries applications, and data assimilation.
· Demonstrations on how to access all of these datasets from a variety of different softwares.
· How to write scientific manuscript
· Giving a scientific presentation in English to an international audience
· Experience live field data collection and sampling at the ocean facilitated by the experienced local facilitators
· Related instruments used for ocean water sampling are demonstrated and students will get opportunities to operate them
The training courses are scheduled as follows:
· Trainees make a short presentation about their needs, requirements, and expectations
· Trainers make lectures and instruct how to use satellite remote-sensing data trainees process satellite remote-sensing data in combination with their own data
· At the end, trainees report their results.
· Gad Levy (NWRA, USA)
· Cara Wilson (NOAA, USA)
· MingAn Lee (NTOU, Taiwan)
· Stefano Vignudelli (CNR, Italy)
· Abderrahim Bentamy (Ifremer, France)
· Jim Gower (IOS, Canada)
· Nurul Hazrina Idris (UTM, Malaysia)
· Mazlan Hashim (UTM, Malaysia)
· Aidy Dr. Aidy @ Mohamed Shawal M. Muslim (INOS UMT, Malaysia)
· Mohd Nadzri Md Reba (UTM, Malaysia)
In the training course, trainees are strongly encouraged to bring their own data (e.g. in situ or satellite data). If trainees use their own application software, please bring it installed in your PC. Following are some important dates for the tutorial:
· 1st September 2019 – 31 January 2020
30 November 2019
· Mid February
15th January 2020 – Result of the selection process for the capacity building student tutorial.
More details regarding the tutorial capacity building are available in the conference website (https://www.geoinfo.utm.my/porsec/). Other information such as registration and accommodation are also available in the website.
· Tuition fee waiver will be offered depend on the number of participants;
· Full/Partial travel grants might be available
Sponsors: PORSEC Association, UTM, UMT, IGRSM and Malaysia Space Agency
We are looking forward to see you in Johor Bahru!
Nurul Hazrina Idris (Sr Dr.)
Head Tropical Resource Mapping Research Group
Faculty of Built Enviroment and Surveying
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Johor Bahru