TechOceanS Workshop: Machine Learning Advances for Environmental and Underwater Imaging Data – 8-9 June 2023, Southampton, UK
The Big Data accumulating from environmental and underwater imagery imposes a series of unique challenges, which need to be tackled by the data scientist community in collaboration with environmental scientists. This workshop is specifically interested in discussing computer vision challenges such as model development, annotation, managing skewed datasets, and poor data quality. We will bring together researchers from both academia and industry across diverse domains of AI, including experts from AI, big data, data transmission, engineering and computer vision, as well as other scientists with an interest in the application of image analysis. We will discuss methods and procedures to cover topics such as:
- Cutting-edge AI for the ocean and environmental observation
- Deep learning and its applications to, e.g., classification, object detection, segmentation and monitoring of marine life
- Meta-learning, including transfer learning, online learning, and active learning
- Real-time processing
- Handling of large data sets with modern techniques such as compression, tiering, and deduplication
- FAIR data management, image collection, pre-processing, annotation, taxonomically accurate labelling
The workshop will be two days with keynote talks, talks and discussions. A preliminary workshop structure is:
Day 1: Al algorithms and architecture
Day 2: Data handling and management
The workshop is limited to 20 participants. Registration is free, and the workshop will cover refreshments, lunch (both days), and a workshop dinner after the first day. Participants are expected to cover their own expenses for travel, accommodation and breakfast.
Please register your interest to participate: Click Here
to download the event flyer please click here
To ensure we have a diverse and relevant audience please note completing this form does not automatically guarantee you a place. The organising team will be in touch with further information or acceptance to attend
More information is available via this link.