This PhD grant is within a multi-disciplinary project and offers you the chance to become expert in valorization of marine biomass- from basic science to market applications. It is situated within the European Project Blueshell- an Eranet Marine Biotech project. The PhD position is a joined Phd of ILVO and University Ghent.
You will be involved in a research project – as PhD researcher- related to valorisation of marine biomass (ie shells from different marine organisms).
Your tasks involve:
- Different processing techniques to maximaly explore the potential of valorisable products (ie classical extractions, fermentation, …)
- Screening and characterization of the compounds for a battery of different bioactivities relevant for different sectors (horticultural plant stimulant, anti-fouling, food-safety, nutritional….).
- Valorisation and evaluation of market potential of succesful bioactive compounds
- A recently obtained Master of Science, Master of Applied Sciences or similar level
- You are willing to apply for extra funding (supported by staff of ILVO and University Ghent)
- You are able and interested in a PhD
- Good knowledge and interest in marine biotech
- Interest beyond basic science ie applied research for marketable bioactive products and interest in the valorisation of your results in the industry
- Knowledge of enzyme chemistry, microbiology and plant sciences, as well as of analytical chemistry
- Good communication skills including a very good command of the English language (written and verbal)
- Able to work independent
- Working with a creative, critical and analytical mindset
- You are willing to apply for extra funding
- General terms for ILVO-PhD: http://www.ilvo.vlaanderen.be/language/en-US/EN/Work-at-ILVO/General-terms-and-regulations.aspx#.WL2AG2czWmQ
- A 3yr contract at ILVO/University Gent with internationally competitive salary
- The position is within the international project BlueShell (Eranet Marine Biotech), in which 5 European countries are involved
- Work within an international challenging project in the Blue Growth area- an area that is indicated by EU as one of the promising growth sectors
- Multi-disciplinary project dealing with several aspects of valorization- from source to market
Further information and how to apply?
At University Ghent
How to apply?
All applications must be sent to Bart Sonck (Bart.Sonck@ilvo.vlaanderen.be) and to Katleen Raes (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than 23/03/2017 at 23:59 (CET), with subject of your mail ‘Application Blueshell’ with the following documents attached as one file:
- Motivation letter
- A transcript of the required degree
- An overview of your study results
- The name and contact data of a reference person
Based on the provided information, a selection will be made. The selected candidates will be contacted by email by 24 March and a case-study (together with a more extensive summary of the project) will be provided as a preparation for the interview which will occur at 27th March. Please block this day in your agenda.