Position: Satellite Oceanographer/Marine Spatial Ecologist
Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA
CSS-Dynamac seeks a full-time geographer, oceanographer, or spatial ecologist with expertise in remote sensing and scientific programming. The successful candidate will join an interdisciplinary team supporting the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in monitoring, assessing, and forecasting harmful algal blooms and water quality. The goal of this work is to use satellite data and models to improve the detection and prediction of harmful algal blooms (HABs) and water quality, and to incorporate different models into supporting forecasts being developed by the NOAA?s National Centers for Coastal Ocean Science (NCCOS).
CORE Responsiblities include:
- Evaluate satellite products for detecting HABs and water quality (especially water turbidity) using both image and statistical analyses.
- Integrate satellite data, field data and models to forecast blooms and bloom impacts.
- Develop new products based on climatologies of satellite data and other data.
- Develop scripts with python and R integrated with Geomatica or ArcGIS.
- Document and report methods
- Prepare papers, reports, and presentations on results in journal and at national meetings.
- Work with other offices and partners in incorporating new data sources and models into NCCOS products.
- Travel may be required to other NOAA facilities, partner offices, or workshops to work with other staff and/or partners on transition activities
- B.S. degree in geography, ecology, oceanography, or a related field, with 2 or more years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of satellite data
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing programs or scripts in ArcGIS, IDL, MatLab, R, or similar analysis packages.
- Acquaintance or experience with Python
- Use of LINUX operating system.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated strong ability to work independently in a self-directed environment
- M.S. or above in geography, ecology, oceanography, or related field.
- At least 1 year of experience working in both LINUX and Windows operating system environments.
- Experience with development of ArcGIS tools or python for automization and customization
For further details see CSS-Dynamac Job Openings.