NERSC is looking a senior ocean modeler/oceanographer to be in charge the ocean modeling developments at NERSC over the next years. The position is initially offered a period two years. It will be continued in a permanent position depending on satisfactory performance and funding opportunities. The scientist is expected to conduct original, independent and collaborative research toward the development HYCOM in connection to the novel sea ice and ecosystem models being developed at NERSC. The scientist will play a central role in strategic decisions on the future evolution the ocean modeling system.
Initially the main tasks in the position will be:
- Contribute to the coupling framework a new coupled sea ice-ocean system in collaboration with NERSC sea-ice modelers;
- Carry out developments as part the evolution the operational service in the Arctic.
The position is open from 1. January, 2017 or as soon as possible after that.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Ph.D. or equivalent in , engineering, computer science, earth system science, or a related physical science;
- Research experience in a relevant field and good publication record in refereed journals;
- Experience with development and/or extensive use ocean models, and their evaluation using observations;
- Teamwork spirit and good communication- and collaborative skills.
Knowledge in one or more the following areas will strengthen the application
- Ocean-ice-atmosphere coupling processes in the Arctic Ocean;
- Oceanography the North Atlantic and Arctic;
- Experience with HYCOM or general vertical coordinate ocean models;
- Experience with couplers such as OASIS or CPL7, or coupling frameworks such as ESMF or MCT;
- Excellent programming skills in Fortran or C++ to manage big and collaborative projects and experience with version control systems, such as GIT and SVN;
- Previous experience in scientific software and tools, such as MATLAB, Python and R.
- Interesting work in a stimulating research environment;
- Salary according to qualifications;
- Pension scheme;
- Financial help with relocation.
Full announcement at https://www.researchgate.net/job/879513_Senior_Scientist-Ocean_Modeler