Call for Expression of Interest GEO/CALL/Comms/17/01
The GEO Secretariat is calling for expressions of interest for the following short-term need:
Strategic Communications and Social Media Specialist
Deadline for applications: 30 April 2017
Contract period : 1 June (11 Months)
Senior External Relations Manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working under the responsibility of the Senior External Relations Manager, responsible for leading, developing and implementing GEO’s annual communications and dissemination plan based on the overarching engagement strategy supporting the objectives of the GEO Strategic Plan 2016-2025: Implementing GEOSS.
- Developing targeted communication campaigns tailored to GEO Implementation activities and priority areas.
- Establishing a two-way communication network to facilitate the continuous flow of information between members/users and the GEO Secretariat as a means of fostering growth of an active GEO community. Assess and identify the most appropriate and effective channels for conducting GEO’s external outreach and communications’ activities with emphasis on Social Medial. Manage the ongoing outreach and communication activities.
- Maintaining community liaison, disseminating news coverage and tracking press activities.
- Working closely with the GEO web designer to ensure appropriate visibility and dissemination of achievements and relevant decisions. Ensuring that the GEO website presents clear, relevant and up-to-date information.
- Staying abreast of events, developments, news and priorities relevant to GEO and make connections as appropriate.
Qualifications and experience:
Advanced degree in marketing, international relations or communications. Additional qualifications in environment and/or geophysical sciences would be a bonus. At least five years of combined national and international progressively responsible experience in public information and communication work, targeting multiple stakeholders, including public and private sectors, international organizations and media. Experience providing information or scientific issues to non-technical audiences in multinational environments, knowledge pf (one or all) of climate change, disaster resilience or the United Nations Global Agenda 2030 in this respect is a bonus.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent English-language oral and written communication skills. Ability to craft high-quality press releases and presentations, explain complex concepts in an easy to understand manner, using the most communicative language appropriate for the given audience;
- Ability to manage work, set milestones, meet deadlines, and motivate others to supply you with necessary information and input under same conditions.
- Ability to sharply assess and leverage opportunities;
- A creative thinker with vision and ability to identify and pursue ideas and opportunities;
- Well-spoken, well-informed, and well-prepared to speak on behalf of GEO during communication and outreach opportunities,
- Ability to develop cooperative marketing partnerships; and
- Ability to work in complex, multi-stakeholder environment.
To apply: Please send up-to-date Curriculum Vitae to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference GEO/CALL/Comms/17/01.